Minister of Science and Environment Sherry Ayittey on Monday called on the Institute of Engineers and the Ghana Standards Board to collaborate and check the influx of sub-standard electrical appliances into the country.
She said the two institutions had the capacity to assist the Customs, Excise and Preventive Service to effectively deal with sub-standard electrical appliances.
Ms Ayittey was speaking at a day’s seminar, organized by Tropical Cable and Conductors Limited, on the prevention of electrical fires on consumer premises.
The seminar came on the back of an increase in the number of fire cases in government buildings and homes.
The Minister said it was time that focus was placed on the use of renewable energy as climate change was causing changes.
Dr Joe Oteng-Adjei, Minister of Energy, said defective electrical appliances, inferior cables and conductors and the engagement of non-certified electrical contractors were some of the major causes of fire in homes and institutions.
He called on electrical engineers to come together to flush out unqualified persons engaged in electrification to ensure that laid down regulations were followed to protect the unsuspecting public from the bad contractors.
Managing Director of TCCL Tony Oteng-Gyasi said electrical fires were preventable when there was good understanding of its causes and handling.
He asked the participants to share the knowledge acquired at event with their colleagues at the work places.
Mr Cephas Gakpo, Managing Director of Electricity Company of Ghana called on the public to stop blaming the company for every fire outbreak as installation failures, overloading of cables and improper wiring could lead to fire outbreaks.